Sarah Wilson

Dog Expert

4 Dangerous Foods for Dogs Probably In Your Kitchen Right NOW!

| 2 Comments

Dangerous Foods for Dogs Image

Are some dangerous foods for dogs in your kitchen right now? I bet yes. Maybe all of them! By educating yourself you can choose what to have in your home and how to store some items so everyone is safe.

Also, every dog lover needs good first aid information (The First-Aid Companion for Dogs & Cats) and first aid gear so you’ll be prepared for the life when it happens.

#1 on the list may surprise, did you know these were a risk?

GRAPES AND RAISINS

Yes – grapes and raisins! Really. And it seems to be increasing. I store raisins in my kitchen up and out of reach. I handle them like what they are: Poison for my dog. They are never left on the counter. I use them then put them away. All that said, I don’t even have any in my home right now and have no plan on buying more anytime soon. I use dog-harmless dried fruits in my oatmeal now.

What can they do? Kidney failure and death. And… (if you need more) there is no antidote.

As with all things, the smaller the dog, the bigger the risk. If you think your dog may have gotten into either grapes or raisins, call your veterinarian immediately!

XYLITOL 

Most people know chocolate can be dangerous to a dog, well this sugar alcohol is about 100x more toxic! With some brands of sugar-free gum, a few pieces can trigger severe hypoglycemia and a pack can result in liver failure.

I do not keep any xylitol products in my home and purse. Sugar-free mints or gum (non-xylitol) are kept in the glove compartment of my car.

CHOCOLATE

Chemicals called methylxanthines are the issue here. These can impact your dog’s heart, causing it to race and, in extreme cases, cause cardiac arrest. That’s extreme. 

The darker the chocolate, the more of these chemicals it generally contains so house your dark chocolate/baker’s chocolate next to your raisins – well out of the reach of even the most determined dog.

Reference dose: a A 50-pound dog + 1 ounce of dark chocolate = serious problem. The smaller the dog, the higher the risk and I have known toy dogs who have died from it.

ONIONS/GARLIC

This is an especially tricky one because symptoms show up days later. The compounds in these vegetables damage the red blood cells. Your dog may seem tired 3-5 days after binging on onion soup mix. His urine may be orange or red. You see this, you rush him to the vet!

If you ever have any questions, talk to your veterinarian. But if it is after hours (and don’t these things always seem to happen after hours) you can call one of these two excellent hotlines: Pet Poison Helpline (800-213-6680) or ASPCA Poison Control (888-426-4435)  Both charge a fee. Both are open 24/7/365.

2 Comments

  1. Onions are toxic but there is always debate over garlic. In fact, garlic is used in many, many dog food or treat recipes. It takes an incredible and unlikely amount of garlic to be a problem for a dog; regular use of “some” garlic is not harmful. Owners are advised to do their own research on this.

    • It’s confusing, right? The great queen of holistic feeding of dogs – Juliette de Bairacli Levy – uses grapes. Have times changed? Have grapes changed? I don’t know. What I do know is that no one can know how sensitive their dog will be to something so, when safer options are so readily available, I recommend to the general public to use a safer options. All under the heading of “Better safe than at the vet.”

Leave a Reply

Required fields are marked *.